Thermal underwear: What is the best thermal underwear you can buy?
Thermal underwear; how properly effective in winter? What is thermal underwear, what is it, and what is it made of? Tips for choosing and wearing it, think about a thing: advantages and disadvantages of these products. Thermal underwear is incredibly useful for those who want to lead an active lifestyle in comfort and without the risk of catching a cold at any time of the year, especially in winter. It is chosen by people of different ages, both men and women.
What is thermal underwear?
Thermal underwear is special underwear to prevent heat loss and remove moisture from the body. It replaces several layers of everyday clothing and prevents one from sweating and freezing in the cold season. But, depending on the model, you can use it in other seasons – summer, spring, and autumn. It will protect against the adverse effects of UV rays, rain, and wind.
The principle of thermal underwear is to allow moisture to pass through, which prevents sweat from accumulating on the skin. At the same time, it is scorched, unlike ordinary t-shirts, tops, etc. The primary function of such objects is to evaporate, transport, and absorb. We can say that the materials it is made of are filled with air, which creates a thick protective layer.
The product usually consists of two layers: an inner one that adheres well to the skin and provides moisture removal and an outer one responsible for heat retention. The first is usually made from synthetic material, and the second is from natural mixed with artificial. Thermal underwear is essential primarily for mountaineers, cyclists, runners, yachters, snowboarders, hunters, and anglers. It is also a must for those who ski often or adore spending time in the mountains during the colder months. It is also suitable for residents of regions with harsh winters, for example, the arctic regions and similar regions.
These sheets are sold under various labels. For winter sports, the product is marked as “Silk” or “Medium” … It is not designed for long-term use so it will be a poor choice for climbers, rock climbers, etc. “Polar weight” or “Heavy,” in it you can sleep comfortably in a tent without fear of freezing.
Thermal underwear is designed for both men and women; there are options for children. It is produced mainly in black, sometimes white, blue, gray, red, and beige.
Unique t-shirts, t-shirts, shirts, turtlenecks, leggings, panties, bras, and socks are for sale. Warm underwear also sometimes includes unique jackets, hats, and gloves. In approximately 70% of cases, they are all seamless and hypoallergenic, which minimizes the risk of discomfort when wearing them. The cheapest are socks and gloves, which cost around 1.5$, depending on the manufacturer of warm-up clothing. Leggings and sweaters are considered more expensive; the price here starts from 100$. You will have to pay even more for a jacket, which costs more than 200$. Shorts, t-shirts, t-shirts, and underpants cost almost the same amount – about 1$. The most expensive are synthetic materials with merino wool.
Benefits of warm-up clothing
An indisputable advantage is the ability to use it in any situation. You can use it in summer, winter, autumn, and spring, depending on the product type. There are options for both men and women, adults and children of different ages. In addition, strictly fixed sizes are provided, which allows you to choose a product just for you.
Let’s mention the pluses of warm-up clothing:
- No allergies … Such attire do not irritate the skin, as sweat does not accumulate inside and no seams damage the body. Therefore, you can wear it even if the skin is susceptible or there are skin diseases. For the same reason, it is suitable for children of different ages.
- It does not cause discomfort … Despite its synthetic origin, the product is pleasant for the skin; it does not absorb moisture but draws it out. Therefore, regardless of the season, one is always dry.
- Comfort in use … Such underwear does not weigh very much and does not hinder movement. Tight fit to the body does not interfere with walking, cycling, running, etc. It is also essential that you can wear other clothes over it, except a skirt. Due to its smoothness, it is not visible under jackets, trousers, or jeans. A nice bonus – you can do laundry once a week if you use it regularly.
- Strong thermal insulation properties … The warm underwear does not heat up but only retains the heat generated naturally. Therefore, its temperature is always at an acceptable level. This effect is provided by the hollow fibers that make up the material, such as Meryl Nextgen, Tremolite, and Softprim.
- Excellent protection against wind and moisture … The material is not blown through and does not allow rain or snow to pass through. It eliminates the risk of hypothermia and the development of cold, skin rashes, and itching.
- Availability … Such a product is sold in any travel or sports shop operating online and offline. Moreover, the clothing is offered in entirely different sizes.
- Neutral sweat smell … In principle, this only applies to wool products that can clean themselves. In this way, the activity of bacteria is suppressed, and the skin is reliably protected against allergies. Taking this into account, it becomes clear that there is no need to wash the laundry every day, thanks to which it will last long enough.
Disadvantages of warm-up clothing
The first difficulties arise when you choose it since you should only try it on a naked body. To this should be added a rather complicated size chart, which must be used as a guide when buying. For men, it is one; for women – another, and for children, it can even be the third. The minimum waist in the case of thermal underwear for adults is 64 cm. The problem is that the parameters of many girls do not coincide with this indicator, not even reaching 60 cm. In such a situation, you either have to be satisfied with loose-fitting clothes on the body or turn to baby products…
When researching the disadvantages, you should not lose sight of the following penalties of warm-up clothing:
- High price … Compared to regular socks, gloves, jackets, and pants, these products cost 2-3 times more. Therefore, not everyone can afford to buy the whole set, but only one item is ineffective.
- Unacademic look … If you can wear pants, a regular sweater or a jacket with this underwear in winter, then this summer you will only have to go sports in one t-shirt and leggings. To some, they may look out of fashion and ugly. Girls who wear them are ashamed of their image due to the high density of the buttocks, chest, and waist. Considering this, in this form, it is hardly possible to do, for example, a walk around the city.
- Difficulty going … Clothes can be machine washed, but only on a delicate cycle. It is generally better to do it by hand so that it does not stretch, hide or “shrink.” In this case, you should not use bleach, stain remover, and powder with chlorine. Difficulties are also created by limiting the temperature of the water to 30 ° C. To prevent damage to the product’s structure, should not iron even the best thermal underwear.
- Unhealthy … For cycling and running, you need one set of underwear, for skiing – another, for winter trips, hunting, and fishing – the third. All this is not very convenient and requires serious financial investments.
What is the best thermal underwear you can buy?
It is made of synthetic (polyester and polypropylene), natural (cotton, wool), and mixed materials. For winter, the first option is suitable, which is easy to care for and has a lower price. It is mainly intended for people who do active sports – jogging, triathlon, snowboarding, bobsledding, etc. It is convenient when you are on the go.
If we talk about clothes made of merino wool, then it will be an excellent choice for long walks in the cold or camping in the mountains. Products made from it are also suitable for passive people who do not play sports. In them, you can safely be outside at temperatures down to -10 ° C without outdoor clothing. In this way, insulation can be saved. The most versatile are models made of natural and synthetic materials, as they perfectly retain heat and repel moisture. The ratio of the two materials should be approximately 30 to 70%proportions; in any case, synthetic components always predominate.
Both that and the other can have internal or external seams; the second option is, of course, the most comfortable.
It is necessary to distinguish 3 types of thermal underwear:
- Moisturizer … It is necessary for water sports and other active sports, which lead to a lot of sweating. We are talking about cycling, rowing, skateboarding, skiing, and mountaineering. It is often made of a synthetic material (polypropylene or polyester), which dries very quickly.
- Keep warm … Usually, in addition to this, such models also protect from the wind. Therefore, they will be suitable for those who spend a lot of time outdoors, for example, anglers and hunters. It is also an excellent option for walking outside in sub-zero temperatures. Merino wool, silk, and cotton are used in the sewing.
- Mixed … As the name suggests, these products combine both hydrophobic and heat-preserving functions. Given their versatility, it’s no surprise that they carry the highest price tag. You can walk down the street and go to the mountains and run in such clothes. But for the summer, it is not the most reliable, since here the most important thing is to resist moisture and no protection against the cold.
You can often see different marks on thermal underwear that determine its purpose. Cool print means the product can be used in any weather, regardless of the season. If the packaging says “Allergy,” this option contains special protective threads that prevent itchy skin. The “hot” label says the item is designed to operate at low temperatures, from 0°C to -25°C, without additional insulation. Regardless of the type of warm-up clothing, it must be elastic; it repeats the skin care. You should not buy it in one size larger or smaller, because if the clothes do not fit the body well, you will not get the desired warming effect. Her pressure on the skin is also not suitable due to extreme discomfort. The rating of the most famous manufacturers of warm-up clothing. Those looking for items made of quality material that is comfortable to wear and at the same time withstand up to -35 ° C should pay attention to winter area thermal underwear. Such products are the best choice because the content of cotton and polyester in them is strictly balanced (50% each). They do not allow hypothermia or overheating of the body and are entirely safe.
For those who do not plan to wash their clothes at least once a week, it is better to choose one impregnated with special antibiotics; this is incredibly convenient for hiking.
How to wear thermal underwear correctly.
It is recommended to wear special panties and a bra (if we are talking about girls). When regular underwear is worn, moisture accumulates inside, which causes significant discomfort and creates a dangerous health condition.
There should be no tights, plain t-shirts, or t-shirts under the thermal underwear. It is also necessary to adhere entirely to the body but not squeeze it. It is essential to wear leggings and jackets with thermal insulation properties only to go outside, as it is appropriate to use thermal underwear only at temperatures below 0 ° C. In rooms, even unheated ones, it usually does not go below + 10 ° C.
It is worth forgetting that you should not wear the same set for more than a week, after which you must wash it.
On top of trousers, tights and a t-shirt, you can wear a regular sweater, trousers, and jacket. It will allow you not to freeze and not get sick in the cold season.
At the same time, it is not recommended to wrap you in more than three layers; this will create additional stress on the body. Ideally, the bottom layer wicks moisture away, the middle layer pulls it out, and the top layer protects it from the wind.
Such items are perfectly complemented by fleece and membrane material wardrobe products.